You have to hand it to the NY Cosmos marketing folks who are going for broke with the MLS expansion club campaign. The club announced a NY Cosmos Asia Tour started yesterday featuring the only people the club has signed–retired soccer players Pele, Eric Cantona and Cobi Jones. The money men–Paul Kemsley and Terry Byrne–are joining the tour too.
Per the press release: “The trip has been defined by a number of activities focused on spreading goodwill through sport, developing young talent and building global partnerships.”
Some of the highlights include a March 3 press conference with Pele, Cantona and Jones, a March 5 autograph signing session with Cantona and Pele. And more:
- A Q&A session hosted by the American Chamber of Commerce in Singapore (AmCham Singapore) in conjunction with the U.S.-Asia Pacific Regional Business Summit. AmCham Singapore Chairman Dr. Steve Okun will address “What’s Next In the Soccer World” and will talk to Pelé, Cantona and Jones about the important role that soccer plays to bridge communities
- A gala dinner with Singapore President S.R. Nathan and his wife in attendance, benefiting the Bone Marrow Donor Programme
- Ribbon-cutting of a brand new soccer pitch being unveiled at the Singapore Sports School
- A soccer clinic hosted by Cobi Jones with Team Hope, an organization committed to “changing lives through football”
- An exclusive launch of the Umbro x New York Cosmos home kit with leading soccer retailer Weston at their Queensway Shopping Centre Branch
But, wait, there is still more…on March 7, Pele will participate in another press conference.
This will probably be bigger than Michael Jackson touring Asia.